Sister and Friendship Cities
Council has a sound Sister City relationship with Paduli in Italy, and Friendship relationship with Oyster Bay in New York.
Click on the following links to see the location of each of the Cities and some general information:
To recognise the Anniversary of the signing of the agreement between the cities, Council hosted representatives from both cities and dedicated a park in their name “Padulesi Park – Antares Way”.
The relationship embraces other close by regions and in the last few years Council has hosted visits from a number of dignitaries from Paduli and surrounding areas and held receptions for visiting schools from this region in Italy through Charles Campbell College.
The Council over a number of years has had in place a committee to assist in fostering the relationships between the cities. Some of the actions undertaken by the committee included:
- Exchange Local Government ideas through Staff exchanges and dialogue around best practice between Cities.
- Connecting family tree / history databases between the Cities.
- Explore web connections and live feeds between Cities.
- Economic development suggestions for the EDAC (Economic Development Advisory Committee), possibly around the Food Trail.
- In kind support for school exchanges.
- Support building of links between San Rocco Club and Charles Campbell College to improve study outcomes for students.
- Explore an arts program between the Cities where works / knowledge are exchanged possibly through a competition.
- Explore Service Clubs student exchange programs and link to Sister Cities as well as projects to recognise the links such as restorations, signage improvements in public spaces etc.
- Explore social media connections between the Cities.
- San Rocco Club holding an event annually around the anniversary (16 October).
Staff will continue to work with these communities to deliver these actions where resources allow. The key focus will be supporting school visits and the celebrations of the anniversary of the agreements.
If you want to engage more with these communities please see the Paduli Sister Cities Facebook Page.